Monday, June 13, 2016

Spanish Lessons, Special Meetings, and Super Sundays!

Hello, everyone! Apparently, Australia likes to celebrate the queen's birthday by closing down a lot of shops and libraries, hence I'm emailing a day later. :) I hope you all had a fantastic week! We sure did down here.

Inline image 1

Elder Roberts and I have been getting along well. We work well together in missionary work (finding, teaching, planning, etc.) and he's very agreeable and easy to live with. We laugh a lot, and he's a great example to me of having a good time on our missions while still being very dignified representatives of the Lord. For memory's sake, he's from Manti, Utah, and we were in the MTC together! Our Vietnamese has progressed pretty similarly, and he's very diligent. He really likes movies and sports, so  we have a lot of fun quoting things together all the time, especially good Disney Movies, and I can always rely on him in lessons and such.

This week, I got to go on splits with someone in our ward to meet an investigator from Peru. By some miraculous happenstance (Heavenly Father truly is a great at orchestrating), someone from Arizona who served his mission in California is now in Melbourne for a few months and wanted to help the Elders teach. He went Spanish speaking, and since our investigator is from Peru, she was able to hear the gospel in the language of her heart. She got emotional, and I think that she made some good progress. I tried my best to follow along, but given that my language focus is more on Vietnamese, I only got the gist of what was being said (and only that thanks to my companion's translating). It was  a nice experience to feel the spirit and see the prophecy be fulfilled that all will hear the gospel in their own language. :)

Inline image 2

Yesterday, we also got to go to a very special missionary meeting. Sister McKonkie and Sister Reeves were there with their husbands, and they all spoke a lot about motivation and being happy on the mission. It was a really special experience to hear from leaders from the church about how important the work is all around the world. I took a lot of good things from the meeting, the most prominent of which is probably that the best time that we have to enjoy is right now so long as we choose to do so. Heavenly Father sent us here that we may have joy in this life and in the life to come. He has given us so many great gifts, and I wish to be more sensitive and more receptive to his boundless charity and matchless love.

I'm so grateful for the Sabbath and the time that I have to recharge and learn from and about the Savior. I was able to bear my testimony this week in sacrament meeting as well as translate for an older Vietnamese sister. The talks, the spirit, and even the classes afterward truly made the Sabbath a delight for me. I'm grateful to be doing the Lord's work, and I pray that I may do it in His way to the benefit of all His children. I'm grateful for the general authorities and leaders of the church who truly are called of God and do lead His kingdom on the earth in righteousness.

The time in this life is a wonderful time to enjoy and to prepare to meet God. The joy that we can find here is but a taste of the joy we can have in the eternities, but it is still very much worth pursing and making an effort to be happy. May we all turn to our Savior and choose to be happy is my prayer in the name of the Master, even Jesus Christ, amen.

I love you! Have a fantastic week! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment