Monday, September 21, 2015

Xác nhận - Footscray Week 2

Vietnamese Word of the Week: xác nhận (sack nyan) As in "confirmation" as in "I performed a confirmation to give Niky the Holy Ghost in Vietnamese yesterday." That's a true statement, by the way. The first time I conferred the Holy Ghost to someone living was yesterday, in Vietnamese. Wow, what an experience.
Last week, I ran out of time even though I was trying to type a million words a minute, so I didn't say much about my mission, really. Or my flight, or anything. This week, I'm also running out of time, but I want to share a little more about the basics of my mission. :)

Mission:
 There are 5 Vietnamese Elders in Footscray, and we all share an apartment ("flat" for you Aussie, folks"). There are 2 wards that we go to- Footscray and the branch (pictured above). The branch meets in an office building in the city, and it's anyone from Chinese, to Spanish, to Mexican, to, you guessed it, Vietnamese! It's the coolest building, and that's where we teach a lot of students and also offer English classes.
We have a car, and we use it a lot to get in the city. We're trying to use public transit more often, but for now, the car is really nice.


Lessons:
Most of our lessons are actually not in Vietnamese, but in English. Given that we're in Australia, a lot of people are trying to learn English and prefer to have lessons in English to practice and learn more. It's been really interesting, but we still do use Vietnamese for older members or to explain some English words more clearly. It's awesome, though! The spirit is so strong!
This Week:
Like I said above, I got to confirm a Vietnamese member into the church in Vietnamese! It was such a testimony builder, and I'm so happy to be able to have done that. :)
And with that, I'm out of time. :( Sorry about that. This week, I'd like to challenge all of you to prepare for General Conference by preparing a list of questions you want to have answered, and by praying over them to decide which ones you really should focus on. Since I'm out of the country, I get it a week late, so take advantage of the blessing of having it so soon! :) The church is true, the Book of Mormon is too, and I love you! :) Remember the Savior in all you do. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment