Monday, August 3, 2015

Cầu nguyện - MTC Week 4: Elder Lukas Erekson/ Anh Cả Trí...?

Vietnamese word of the week: "Cầu nguyện" (Cow ngoi-en) as in "to pray" as in "pray unto the Father in the name of Christ." :)

Another week, another crazy ride. What happened this week? Everything kind of blurs together. Let's see... I found out I enjoy ironing (a lot! Especially pants. I'm kind of a dork.), I got organized, and I experienced a spectrum of teaching confidence.

We started off with a ton of confidence in our teaching abilities. We're proclaiming the gospel to our investigators! How can we not rejoice in such an opportunity? And then... our teachers showed us what we sound like if we were to teach in English...
"God is our loving Heavenly Father. He love us. He loves you. Do you have any questions?" (Said with a ridiculous monotone and mispronouncing some words.) Ouch. That really damaged our morale for quite a bit. The lesson that afternoon was horrible, and I was so distraught that I couldn't even think about what to say, and our investigator didn't get anything out of it at all. :(

The next day, we were built up a little bit again, and every day since, I've been working on my charity and involving the investigator/making it more like a normal conversation. The next lessons when I was focusing on that went fantastically! I felt the spirit, I was able to teach a lot, and the investigators seemed a lot more engaged and caring about our message. It was really nice. :)

Anyway, time for the big news. This week, we got new names! Vietnamese people might have a hard time pronouncing "Erekson" apparently, so from now on, to them I'm Anh Cả Trí (on ca? Tree!)! Which, roughly speaking, means Elder Wisdom. Which is either a compliment on my wisdom, or a comment on my need to learn wisdom... maybe both. I'll work on that and become whom the Lord would have me become. :)


​(Elder Bakes in the background)

Now about being more organized... I bought a mini binder that will now encompass all my MTC learning experiences. Well, that's saying a bit much considering that my study journal and my daily journal aren't in there, but it'll help me be more organized and capable of doing the Lord's work effectively. I love organization. Plus, the small binder just has this great appeal to it! I completely forgot how much of a dork I am in that way, but I'm grateful for the opportunity to continue that on my mission. :)


TRC also went really well this week. We taught some recent Vietnamese converts, and they helped us a lot with understanding the language. They also complimented me on my ability to speak and be understood, so that's a confidence booster. :) We engaged them a lot more, and I think they really got something out of it! We taught about improving scripture study, and it was a lot less stressful this week. I had a really good time. :)


I'm running out of time, so I'd just like share this thought in the simple phrases that parallel my Vietnamese teaching ability: God loves you. He is your Father. Because He loves you and you are His child, He wants to talk with you. You can talk with him through prayer, at any time and anywhere. He wants to hear from you, and developing a relationship with Him is the most important thing you can do in this life. I bear witness that Jesus is the Christ, God is our Father, and the Holy Ghost is real. Angels do minister to us today, often unseen. Pray to know God and to recognize when His angels accompany you. You may be surprised by how frequently you receive Heavenly help. :)

Until next week!

With Love,
Elder Lukas Erekson/ Anh Cả Trí

No comments:

Post a Comment