Monday, July 20, 2015

Thường Để - MTC Week 2

Vietnamese word of the week: Thường Để! As in, God, our Heavenly Father, our best source of peace, love, and guidance. :)

Another week has gone by already, eh? Wow, that was fast. And incredibly slow at the same time. It's very paradoxical here; a day feels like a week, but a week feels like an hour. How is that possible? I don't know. The Lord has a different conception of time, I guess.

Anyway, let me tell you about our first baptism. Well, commitment to baptism. We asked Dung, our investigator, to prepare to be baptized, and lo and behold, he accepted! YAY! :) Except, he's not our investigator anymore. Boo. :( It turns out, Dung is not Dung at all! He's our mysterious third teacher, Tai! What...? It's pretty weird. I felt really close to Dung and sad that we wouldn't be teaching him anymore, but I never dreamed he would be teaching US! It'll be fun, though. :) I really felt love for him, and I'm excited to teach- not one, but TWO- investigators this week. They're our other teachers roleplaying, but that doesn't matter. I really need to practice loving the people and teaching like the Lord's missionary because that's who and what I want to be. :)

I got to go to the Provo Temple this week! It's gorgeous and nothing like what we have back home. I'm kidding, of course. It's pretty normal for me to go there, but it does feel different going as a missionary with my companion. It helps me feel closer to home even though I'm only 10 minutes away. :) It also helps me feel closer to my heavenly home, which is where we're all trying to go.

I got sick this week. Just the common cold, but it makes it hard to speak Vietnamese when you're coughing all the time. I'm loving the language, though! I'm staying pretty on pace with the class, and I love saying my prayers in Vietnamese. I especially love saying prayers in Vietnamese for my Vietnamese investigators. There's a special spirit in studying for and praying about people whom Heavenly Father has trusted to you to teach. Like I said earlier, even though it's roleplaying, I still feel the true love of our Father in Heaven.

Let's see, what else... The district is going well. We're all a little crazy and tired at night, but that's to be expected, isn't? A bunch of 18/19 year-olds in a room for 12 hours a day. My scripture study has been going really well. I'm not reading the BoM as fast as I'd like to, but I'm focusing on learning about faith. I'm in Mosiah, and wow, King Benjamin is a master of faith. I love learning about it. PMG is such a great book! If you haven't read it, I suggest that you do. I love it so much, and not just for teaching. The lessons stress that we are to learn, love, live, and THEN we can teach the doctrines therein, and the clear language with which it expresses the doctrine is amazing.

I'm running out of time, I'm afraid, but I hope you all have a fantastic week! :)

I was feeling homesick this week, but I took great comfort in the words given to the prophet Joseph Smith in D&C 100:1-2:
" 1 Verily, thus saith the Lord unto you, my friends Sidney and Joseph, your families are well; they are in mine hands, and I will do with them as seemeth me good; for in me there is all power.

 2 Therefore, follow me, and listen to the counsel which I shall give unto you."

I know that the Lord is taking care of all of you, and I'm going to try my best to follow His counsel that you all may be in His hands. I testify that Jesus Christ loves you and is our Lord and Savior, and through Him, we can have not just immortality, but eternal life. I love you! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment